Saturday, July 18, 2009

Teaching Mathematics and Science in English

I could not hold my tears when I learned that commencing 2012 Mathematics and Science will be taught in Bahasa Malaysia again. No offense to my own mother tongue but I think the Najib administration had made a terrible decision.

The argument is that pupils from rural areas cannot cope with learning Maths and Science in English. I came from a rural area. During my secondary school days I learned Maths and Science in Bahasa Malaysia but when I did my matriculation I learned Maths in English. Initially it was difficult but as time went by it was ok.

To my critics, I got through with my Canadian studies and it was in English. I am still a Malay, I wear the sarung, I take off my shoes when I entered my house. The only thing which I have none is a Malay girlfriend.

PREVIOUS ARTICLES