Saturday, March 28, 2009

Merger of Canadian Oil Companies

I was reading The Economist.com when all of the sudden I remember that the province of Alberta Canada has the second biggest oil reserve after Saudi Arabia. I feel so awkward because I used to remember this fact on my finger tips when I studied at University of Saskatchewan.

The merger of Suncor Energy and Petro-Canada must be looked at positively. Saving $300 million of operating expenditure is a big sum of money. But more importantly by merging both companies would avert unnecessary rivalry. Although the oil reserve is plenty, one day it will deplete and eventually run dry.

Oil and Energy companies must take the necessary steps to find other source of energy. Malaysian oil Company Petronas has been developing alternative energy because oil reserve in Malaysia would run dry by 2013.

But I am still puzzle as to where I had misplaced my Petro-Canada card!

PREVIOUS ARTICLES